Thursday, February 11, 2010

"I want to buy her!"

Gabby was excited to go to her job today when we went to the closet to get her special leash. This was a second visit to this particular place. We've never had a 'double' visit and I was curious if Gabby would 'remember'. We walked in and she immediately did her 'dance' when she rubs her front paws and her back paws on the carpet, looking as if she was scrubbing her paws! It was great!
We met with the Activity Director and was guided to the front lobby area where about 6 individuals gathered, all awaiting our arrival!
I introduced Gabby, showing her little tricks and everyone laughed and joked. I am finding that many people want to FEED her! Many want to give her a cracker or something they have in their pockets! I tell them, "No Thank You! She only eats dog food - no people food." And they feel badly! So, I have been giving them one of her own treats, explaining to them how to tell her to do her tricks and most of the time Gabby will perform and they can reward. They laugh and think it is so cool to talk to a dog and get a reaction! One man asked, "Do you have children?" I confirmed his question and he stood up and said, "Let me give you a hug! If your dog is so well behaved, I can imagine how your children are! Thank you for raising good children!"
This same man would look at Gabby and say, "Arf Arf Arf!" Wanting Gabby to answer back. I explained that all you have to do is say, "Gabby? Tell me a story!" And Gabby will give you an ARF!! He continued to say, "ARF ARF ARF!" Gabby would look at him and wonder what the heck he wanted her to do!! I continued to tell him the correct words to use and he kept doing his only ARF ARF words!! Finally, a woman said, "You are using the WRONG language! She doesn't understand DOG! She only understands ENGLISH!!" hahahaha! Then, the woman said, "Gabby, tell me a story!" And Gabby gave a big ARF!!! hahahaha That was great!
Also, one of the employees fell in love with Gabby. She told me her 8 year old daughter really wants a dog. She thought Gabby would be the perfect dog for her daughter! She asked about the breed, etc.... She asked, "Can I buy her?" I explained Gabby was not for sale and that she was my dog. I told her that she could probably call the SPCA and tell them she is looking for a Lhasa Apso and if they get one, maybe they can call her. She said, "No, I want to buy THAT dog!" Many people think that since I have an SPCA name tag and Gabby has her SPCA scarf, that the dogs are available for adoption. I again explained that Gabby was MY dog and she was not for sale. She asked to take a few pictures of Gabby to show her daughter and I said that would be fine. I hope she understood that Gabby was not for sale!
Here is the picture she took of Gabby with her cell phone!
Super cute! If I were her, I would want to buy her too I guess!! hahahaha

Anyway, we stayed for about 45 minutes, gave lots of hugs and enjoyed our morning immensely!

No comments:

Post a Comment