Thursday, February 18, 2010

Keeps getting BETTER!!

We returned to the same location we were visiting last week and the week before. The car route. Check. The parking issues. Check. Off to a good start!! hahaha

The nurse that wanted to buy Gabby last week was pushing a man in a wheel chair to the outside of the building upon our arrival. Gabby RAN to the nurse when she squealed with delight of our return, "GABBY!!!!" We entered the make shift living room where our guests from last week were also awaiting our arrival. Gabby was excited, jumping around and licking everyone.

Gabby learned new words today! When I say, "Come-A-Hoppy" and point to where I want her to go, she jumps up and stays. I can say it and pat the couch and she jumps on the couch. If I say it and pat the persons lap, she jumps up on their lap. The people loved to watch her do this!

At this particular location, I feel that the atmosphere is very calm and serene. I enjoy sitting on the couch with the other residents. We talk about Gabby while she looks around, adding to the conversation with turns of her head and perking her ears. It is a very comfortable and easy moment. One lady came over in her wheel chair while I was sitting on the couch. I placed Gabby in my lap and she spread her upper body on the lady in the chair and lower half on my lap. The lady stroked her ears and patted her head with such a light, dainty touch. Gabby was very very still, noticing this extra softness. Gabby closed her eyes and took in all in and that pleased the lady so much.

Not sure the WHY of this, can only guess....but older men have always held a special place in my heart. Always have. Perhaps it is because I had an amazing grandfather that I adored as a child and not much of a father. Not so surprising that I've made a few friends at this location, two being older men. I asked what their line of work was in their youth. One man answered, "Plant pathology". Interesting. He said, "I bet you didn't know that plants got sick too!" The other man when asked the same question, unfortunately answered that he did not know, that he could not remember. Both of them enjoy Gabby so much and want her on their laps.

That is why, we are so pleased to report that this therapy dog stuff just KEEPS GETTING BETTER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment